Friday, March 5, 2021

Review: Mexican Gothic - Stephen King meets Celeste Ng

 Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia



This book was voted "best" by Goodreads' readers in 2020 yet it only have a 3.75 or so rating there which is a bit confusing.  Guess the readers who voted in the awards loved it (5 star) while those who didn't vote for it rated it somewhere similar to me - I gave it a 3 Star - I liked it but I didn't really like it (4 star) or love it (5 star).  Maybe I am a conservative rater on books.  If I can quit reading it to switch to another book (I almost always have more 1 book I am reading at a given time) then it is not a 5, maybe not a 4.  

Silvia writes very well so it was the plot that failed to captivate me.  I liked it but I didn't love it so much I was absorbed by it.  I titled it Stephen King (Horror) meets Celeste Ng "Little Fires Everywhere".  

 If you enjoy reading horror (and I do) then give this one a go.  You'll meet at least one creepy character along the way.

Tim


Books Read in 2021:  34 books, 14,614 pages (per GoodReads); 26 Authors, 10 or 11 nationalities (Is Ayn Rand Russian or American?) and 12 of the 26 authors have been female.  Only 1 book was targeted because it was written by a foreign author from a country I hadn't previously read anything.  I am now up to 29 nations at least from which I have read a book written by an author from that country.

Currently reading:  Spain - The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon; India:  A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth, American - Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis  none of which were chosen because of the author's nationality.  They were already on my Best Books list to read.  South Korea - The Girl Who Wrote Loneliness by Kyung-Sook Shin was chosen because she is an author from a country where I once lived but haven't read anything written from an author from there.  

I have lived in The United States,  Mexico, South Korea, Hong Kong and China.  I've read books written by authors from all of these except South Korea and Hong Kong (I list Hong Kong separately from China because they have a different culture and are supposed to be governed separately from China (SAR) however China has acted recently in a way to kill that independence.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.

Reading the World - Best Books - Pulitzer Prize for Fiction

 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction 1918 - 2020 Who are my readers? How many of the Pulitzer Award Winning Fiction books have you read? I'm at...